mmKeys.dll – Use a multimedia keyboard with iTunes

]

Article Image
Tags:

Added On: 4th Jan 08

Links: [site] [download]

EDIT: As a keen reader has pointed out, this software no longer works, due to changes made in the latest release of iTunes. Instead, use HKTunes, found on google code.

Makes your multimedia keyboard buttons work with iTunes when the program isn’t currently in focus, or is minimised.

It is common to find that, when it’s not maximised, iTunes will not recognise your media or gaming keyboard shortcuts as commands to play, pause, skip song, etc. This simple plugin fixes the problem in most cases. It saves you having to bring iTunes up on screen each time you want to use the keys.

To use this plugin, simply copy the mmKeys.dll file into your plugins folder.

• For XP Users, this is found in “C:\Program Files\iTunes\Plug-ins”
  • For Vista Users, it’s “C:\Users\your_username\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iTunes Plug-ins” and you may have to show hidden files (or use the search) in order to see the AppData folder. One commenter also reported that it works when put in “C:\Users\your_username\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iTunes Plug-ins”.
  • For Windows 7 Users: follow Vista instructions above.
  • For linux+wine Users: This reportedly doesn’t work. Most likely a Wine bug though… what are you using iTunes for anyway?!
  • In each case, you have to create this folder if it doesn’t already exist.

You also need to restart iTunes to load the dll. Some commenters have also reported a short delay after the button-press. I’m not sure why this could be..

Other Notes:
+ You still need to install the correct drivers for most keyboards in order to use the MultiMedia keys in the first place. This dll does NOT replace those drivers.
+ There’s also a reported glitch where the windows maximises, on both Windows 7 and Vista… anyone care to confirm this, or list what other apps they have running at the time? Also reportedly doesn’t work again until iTunes is restarted.. OR only pops up with PLAY and PAUSE, but not NEXT_TRACK… Please give more info in your comments!
+ This may be achievable using a registry hack. See this comment.
+ Some users have issues while playing full-screen games, where the keys no longer work. Please elaborate on this problem in the comments too.
+ If it’s not working, try killing “ituneshelper.exe” from within Task Manager. (press Ctrl+Alt+Delete)
+ If when you press a multimedia key, Windows Media Player (WMP) pops up, you need to make sure that iTunes is your default media player [how?].
+ Apparently the issue was fixed in an early version of iTunes 7, but with the later releases the problem has re-surfaced.
+ This plugin is great if you want your multi-media keyboard to be able to control iTunes when it’s behind another window or hidden in the system tray.
+ Apparently, this works in all flavours of Windows XP, Vista and 7, and both 32- and 64-bit varieties!

* Updated to reflect comments * – Please keep the comments rolling in!

]

932 Responses to “mmKeys.dll – Use a multimedia keyboard with iTunes”

1. Linker says:

It no workie!!! Nope does not work for me on Win 7 64 bit, Cyborg V7 Keyboard, with iTunes 11

2. Wim says:

Thank God it works!

3. Nik says:

Works beautifully. This is the easiest fix to anything ever haha

4. Alan says:

I could hug you!

So straight forward and works like a charm!!!

5. I’m impressed, I must say. Rarely do I come across a blog that’s both educative
    and entertaining, and let me tell you, you have hit the
    nail on the head. The problem is something which not enough folks
    are speaking intelligently about. Now i’m very happy I found this
    during my search for something concerning this.

6. WazheadBoci__ says:

Woah working [: thanks for posting it.

7. I gߋt this web ρage from mmy pal who told me regardung this web
    site and now tɦis time I amm visiting this web page and reading
    very informative articles at this time.

8. In accordance with the author, I am able to recover the worthiness to construct each inside a quarter or so. That sounds great, especially when using the rising costs of your electrical current today.

9. I’ve bbeen surfinng online greater than 3 hours lately,
    but I never discovered anny attention-grabbing article like yours.
    It’s pretty worth enough for me. In my view, if all ebsite owners and bloggerfs made just rught
    content material as you probably did, the internet will probably bee much
    more useful than ever before.

10. Really good blog, thank you so much for your time in adding the posts.

11. Beverly says:

Also visit myy web pɑge … memphisfarmersmarket.net [Beverly]

12. The local SEO Company helps their client’s website to achieve high
    rankings in the search engines. An experienced SEO professional will make online promotion easy for you,
    but he will need your constant guidance and co-operation. check
    out for sustainable kewyord ranking and white
    hat seo on ~ [.

13. Asish says:

Works like a charm.Thanks. It would have been very helpful if you could add forward and backward seek. :(

14. Neal says:

extremely nice pic!

15. Dena says:

Works! Thank you very much!!!

16. Thiis is a topic that is near to my heart… Thank you! Exactly
    whee are your contact detaiils though?

17. This pice of writing is in fact a good one iit assists new the
    web users, whoo are wishing for blogging.

18. I every time used to read article inn news papers but now as I am
    a user of internet so from now I am using net for content, thanks to
    web.

19. […] keep seeing mention of mmkeys.dll (see http://www.everythingitunes.com/os/windows/2008-01-04/mmkeysdll/) but I haven’t been able to find any info on the author so I don’t know how to confirm […]

20. Amazing, this is a important web page.|

21. You’ve gotten very well stuff in this case.|

22. Victor says:

You actually make it sseem so easy with your presentation but I find this matter to be actually something that I think I
    would never understand. It sseems too complex and extremely broad for me.
    I’m looking forward foor your next post, I will try to get
    the hang of it!

23. Brittany says:

Thanks so much for this ! I recently brought a Logitech wireless keyboard and was ready to return it after seeing none of the media keys worked with itunes which was the only reason I brought it ! Thanks so much

24. I used to be able to find good informaion fdom your
    content.

25. Ava Cornog says:

I love reading through a post that will make men andwomen think. Also, thank you for allowingfor me to comment!

26. USA Proxies says:

DreamProxies.com – cheapest top-notch private proxies with 50% lower price! Professional quality, Unlimited proxies, Super speed and Least expensive rates – simply $0.25 every proxy! Finest exclusive proxies only on DreamProxies.com

27. DreamProxies.com — most affordable high level private proxies with 50% lower price! Elite quality, Unlimited proxies, Super speed and Least expensive rates : only $0.25 per proxy! Finest individual proxies only by DreamProxies.com

28. The tips is rather exciting

29. Wow because this is great job! Congrats and keep it up

30. I am actually grateful to the holder of this web page who has shared this fantastic paragraph at here.

31. Plebimus_Maximus says:

Man this still works on the latest version of iTunes and Win 10. Thanks, was very annoying having to open iTunes just to use my media buttons.